Autism, Sexual Health, and Safety: Empowering Community
Presented by Amy Gravino, Landa Fox, and Jessica Cauchi
Wednesday, November 8 & Thursday, November 9, 2023
Vancouver, BC & Web Streaming Live
Recording available for two weeks after the conference for all registrants.
Accessible sexual health education is an essential part of learning. In this two-day workshop, sexual health educators will present on educational approaches and resources to support age-appropriate, accessible sexual health education for autistic individuals.
In this workshop, participants will learn about:
- The safety risks posed by a lack of information and empowerment, and the corresponding importance of accessible sexual health education.
- Developmental norms for sexual behaviors and knowledge, including how to adapt lessons for different ages and goals.
- Identification of knowledge and skills that may need to be explicitly taught to autistic learners, including consent, body autonomy, and privacy.
- Common barriers faced by parents, teachers, and support staff, including tips for increasing comfort with sexual health and safety topics.
- Approaches for assessment and treatment of contextually inappropriate sexual behaviors.
- Personal insights and lessons learned from lived experience as an autistic woman.