This event is in the past. See all current events.
Social Skills in the Valley
SOCIAL for LIFE-Part One
About the Social Communication Training Program:
COLOR MY CONVERSATION (CMC) is an evidence-based social communication program for motivated teens (Ages 12-18) who are interested in improving their ability to strengthen their communication skills and social connections with others.
TEENS: During each small group session, students are taught important social skills and are provided with opportunities to practice these skills through fun and engaging activities (i.e. interactive games). Weekly homework assignments are given to provide learners with the opportunity to practice their social skills in real-life situations.
PARENTS: You play a vital role in supporting your child during the CMC training. In our weekly parent groups, valuable coaching techniques will be provided so that you can support your teen in strengthening their communication skills and social connections with others (i.e. friends, family, teachers, etc.). Our meetings, which run at the same time as the teen sessions, will equip you in helping your child with the weekly homework assignments.
8 Sessions, the teen and parents attend their own classes for 1.5 hours
- Increasing consistent and appropriate use of greetings and farewells.
- Improving joint attention and social referencing.
- Increasing competence and confidence in the use of small talk (i.e. conversation starters, conversation stoppers).
- Improving reciprocity and conversational turn-taking.
- Increasing competence and confidence in having phone conversations.
- Improving the ability to identify and discuss topics of conversation (i.e. common topics, new information, unique topics of interest).
- Improving the ability to give positive praise and constructive criticism.
- Improving the ability to ask questions and make comments that are relevant to the topic of conversation.
- Improving the ability to ask follow-up questions.
- Improving the ability to be an active listener.
SOCIAL for LIFE
Certified Color My Conversation Instructors, Rosslyn Delmonico and Shelley Lazarus have been running social communication groups in the Fraser Valley for five years.
Rosslyn Delmonico, MA, RSLP, CCC-SLP, has been a Speech-Language Pathologist for over 43 years both within the private and public school systems. Author of the curriculum-friendly social language-based program, Color My Conversation, Rosslyn seeks to inspire and equip parents and educators with the necessary knowledge and tools to help children develop social-emotional skills; which will allow them to successfully navigate through their world!
Shelley Lazarus, BA, Certified Teacher, PEERS and Color My Conversation Instructor, completed her Special Education Specialization at the University of Victoria, has been teaching for 25 years and loves supporting children with special needs and their parents.