Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder often require a wide-range of individualized support to excel within the school system. The following resources provide a good starting point to gain a better understanding of the BC school systems and the rights and responsibilities of parents. ACT’s Information Officers are knowledgeable about many other resources, which differ depending on the profile of your child. Call the ACT office and speak with an ACT Information Officer for individualized support.
- The BC Education System (pdf)
Chapter 6 of the Autism Manual for B.C.
- The BC Education System – An Introduction for Parents of Students with ASD (pdf)
Chapter 7 of the Autism Manual for B.C.
- The Role of Parental Advocacy in Navigating the B.C. School System (pdf)
Chapter 8 of the Autism Manual for B.C.
- Education, Integration, Inclusion: Key Information for Parents of Children with Special Needs
Online video presentation by Dr. Suzanne Jacobsen, recorded October 22, 2011.
- Creating a Student Profile of your Child