ACT has been funded by the B.C. Ministry for Children and Family Development to facilitate the development of online training resources for clinicians to enable them to provide mental health services to children with ASD. In addition, information will be provided on mental health disorders to professionals who specialize in autism intervention. Details of the announcement can be found here.
ACT has brought together an Advisory Committee composed of leading autism specialists from across British Columbia and Canada to consider how to best tackle the challenge of the shortage of mental health clinicians confident in treating children with ASD. This is a pervasive issue confronting families across Canada when seeking mental health support for their children with autism, across the lifespan.
The Process: In fall of 2016, the committee hosted focus groups with professionals and an online survey was launched. Information from CASDA’s 2014 Survey looking at the experiences of families and individuals with ASD across Canada has been reviewed.This project began with two webinars (Recognising Mental Health Disorders and Treating Anxiety, Depression and OCD), now available as video recordings. In 2017 OMHAP will focus on the development of online learning modules.
OMHAP Expert Advisory Committee
ACT is grateful for the continuing commitment of the following individuals as we engage in this important work.
- Anthony Bailey, MBBS, DCH, MRCPsych, FRCPsych, Professor and Chair of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia
- David Batstone, PhD, RPsych (serves Northern B.C.)
- Karen D. Bopp, PhD, RSLP; Senior Behaviour Consultant, Autism Policy, Ministry of Children & Family Development; Adjunct Professor, UBC
- Marisa Collins, MD, Family Physician; Medical Director, Special Projects, UBC Continuing Professional Development (Pemberton)
- Robin Friedlander, MD, FRCPC, Clinical Head, Neuropsychiatry Clinic, BC Children’s Hospital; Developmental Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, UBC
- Nathalie Garcin, PhD, RPsych – Montreal
- Dr. Balbinder Gill, Pediatrician, Richmond Hospital; Child and Youth Mental Health Team, Vancouver
- Grace Iarocci, PhD, RPsych; Professor, Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University
- Michaela Jelen, MEd, Autism Outreach Program Coordinator, Ministry of Children & Family Development (Provincial)
- Melanie McConnell, PhD, RPsych in Neuropsychiatry, BC Children’s Hospital Clinical Instructor in Psychiatry, UBC; Clinical Investigator, Child and Family Research Institute; Clinical Instructor, UBC Developmental Disorders Program
- Kelly Price, PhD, RPsych, Senior Psychologist, Child & Youth Mental Health Policy, Ministry of Children & Family Development (Provincial)
- Georgina Robinson, PhD, District Principal, The Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Special Education, Adjunct faculty, Educational and Counseling Psychology and Special Education, UBC
- Richard Stock, PhD, BCBA-D, Coordinator, Instructor, Applied Behavior Analysis – Autism Department, Capilano University
- Jonathan Weiss, PhD, RPsych, CIHR Chair in ASD Treatment and Care Research, York University
- David Worling, PhD, RPsych, Clinical Director, Westcoast Child Development Group (Vancouver)
UBC – CPD Members:
- Andrea Keesey, Director
- Allison Macbeth, MAppSc, Senior Research Assistant
ACT Committee Members:
- Deborah Pugh, Executive Director
- Stephanie Porter, Event Coordinator