Saturday, May 9
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Autism BC
Join us for a 3 hour workshop covering the essential information that families need to know at the start of their autism journey. This will be a live online workshop hosted at a PAFN’s local autism support facility; the speaker will join remotely.
- Basic information about autism
- How to prepare for an autism assessment and what your family can do while you wait
- Pros and cons of private vs. public assessments and diagnoses
- What to expect at the assessment and after a diagnosis
- Tips on coping strategies, how to talk to your family and friends about autism, etc.
You will also have the opportunity to pose questions to a Board-Certified Behavioural Analyst (BCBA).
For many families, this workshop is the first touchpoint to the autism community. It is a place to meet others facing similar challenges in your community.
- Children with autism across B.C. get the best standard of care and support possible and are living their best life
- Families across B.C. are empowered to make educated decisions about their child’s autism assessment process
- Families across B.C are empowered to access the support and information they need
- Families access the timeliest autism diagnosis possible
Speaker: Leanne Schiedel
Leanne is a board-certified behaviour analyst (BCBA) with over 15 years experience in the field of autism. Starting as a behaviour interventionist on home-based teams, Leanne moved into the Surrey School District as an ABA Support Worker working in both elementary and high school settings before joining Semiahmoo Behaviour Analysts Inc. as an intern, then as an independent consultant. She has experience developing home and school-based programs for individuals with autism ranging in age from 2 to 18 years old. Leanne completed a Bachelors degree in Psychology from the University of British Columbia and a Masters degree in Applied Behavior Analysis from St. Cloud State University.
You don’t need to be an AutismBC member to attend, but membership has its perks.
To check your AutismBC membership status please click here to log in.
To sign up for FREE AutismBC membership click here.