Tuesday, February 4 - Tuesday, May 26
4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
UBC: Psychoeducational Research and Training Centre
Room 1100, 2125 Main Mall
- PRTC at UBC
- (778) 846-2126
PEERS® is an evidence-based intervention program that is designed to help teens make and keep friends.
- Teens with ASD between the ages of 13-18 with friendship difficulties
- Must be in Middle School or High School
- Average verbal/language ability
- Teens must be interested in joining and participating in the program, voluntarily
- A parent must be willing to participate in the program
WHEN & WHERE:
- Duration: 16 consecutive weeks (one week off for Spring Break)
- Planned Day: Tuesday
- Times: 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. or 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Anticipated program start time: February 2020
- Location: Psychoeducational Research and Training Centre (PRTC) at The University of British Columbia
WHAT THE TEENS WILL LEARN:
- Appropriate conversation skills
- Finding common interests with peers
- Appropriate use of humour
- Entering and exiting peer conversations
- Handling teasing
- Choosing appropriate friends
- How to handle disagreements
- Good sportsmanship skills
- How to have a get together/hang-outs
- And much more!
- The program fee is $1800 (includes the intake meeting and the 16-week intervention)
- Families are encouraged to contact the Autism Funding Unit to confirm whether their provincial funding can be applied toward the fee. A portion of the fee may be eligible for reimbursement through extended health care benefits
- Rashmeen Nirmal is a Registered Psychologist and a certified PEERS® provider
- Theresa Andreou is a Certified School Psychologist and a certified PEERS® provider
- Additional information regarding the PEERS® program can be found here: semel.ucla.edu/peers
- Please email Dr. Nirmal at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 778-846-2126 with your interest and to schedule a 15-minute telephone screening interview
- Then, an in-person intake meeting will be scheduled at UBC to determine if the program is appropriate for you and your teen. If the program is a good fit, then you and your teen will be enrolled in the program.
- Space is limited. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please see Program Flyer for more information.