Tuesday, February 2 - Tuesday, May 25
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- UBC: Psychological Services and Counselling Training Centre (PSCTC)
UBC PEERS® CLINIC (YOUNG ADULT PROGRAM) [Clinic Flyer]
An evidence-based social skills program designed to help young adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) make and keep friends and to learn dating etiquette
WHO IS THIS PROGRAM FOR?
- Young Adults with ASD between the ages of 18-30
- Average verbal/language ability
- Young Adults must be interested in joining and participating in PEERS
- A social coach (e.g., parent, caregiver, another adult) must be willing to participate in the program
WHEN AND WHERE?
- Duration: 16 consecutive weeks (spring break to be determined)
- Day/Time: Tuesdays from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Anticipated Start Time: February 2021
- Location: VIRTUAL via Zoom (due to COVID-19 guidelines)
WHAT WILL THE YOUNG ADULTS LEARN?
- Starting and maintaining conversations
- Finding a source of friends
- Electronic communication
- Appropriate use of humour
- Entering and exiting group conversations
- How to have a get-together
- Dating etiquette
- Handling disagreements and bullying
- And much more!
- The program fee is $1800 for the 16-week program
- Families are encouraged to contact the Autism Funding Unit (AFU) to determine eligibility for payment (if applicable age-wise)
- A portion of the fee may be covered by your extended health care plan, if applicable
- At the UBC PEERS Clinic, we are pleased that all of our group leaders are Certified PEERS Providers and were certified at The University of Los Angeles, California where the PEERS Program was developed. All leaders have Masters and/or PhD Degrees in Psychology or related areas
- At UBC PEERS, our focus is to deliver the 16-week program as it was developed in keeping with the evidence-base of the program
- Please email Dr. Rashmeen Nirmal, UBC PEERS Clinic Founder and Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a 15-minute telephone screening interview
- Then, an intake interview via Zoom will be scheduled to determine if the program is a good fit
- Space is limited. We look forward to hearing from you!