Wednesday, February 3 - Wednesday, May 26
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- UBC: Psychological Services and Counselling Training Centre (PSCTC)
UBC PEERS® CLINIC (Teen Program) [ See Clinic Flyer]
An evidence-based social skills program designed to help teens with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) make and keep friends.
WHO IS THIS PROGRAM FOR?
- Teens with ASD between the ages of 13-18 with friendship difficulties
- Must be in middle school or high school
- Average verbal/language ability
- Teens must be interested in joining and participating in PEERS
- A parent/caregiver must be willing to participate in the program
WHEN AND WHERE?
- Duration: 16 consecutive weeks (spring break to be determined)
- Day/Time: Wednesdays from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Anticipated Start Time: February 2021
- Location: VIRTUAL via Zoom (due to COVID-19 guidelines). Does Virtual PEERS work? Yes! This is our 2nd program running virtually and we will be able to answer all of your questions during the screening intake.
WHAT WILL THE TEENS LEARN?
- Appropriate conversational skills
- Entering and exiting peer conversations
- Finding common interests with peers
- Choosing appropriate friends
- Appropriate use of humour
- Good sportsmanship skills
- Handling teasing and disagreements
- How to have a get-together
- And much more!
- The program fee is $1800 for the 16-week program
- Families are encouraged to contact the Autism Funding Unit (AFU) to determine eligibility for payment
- A portion of the fee may be covered by your extended health care plan, if applicable
- At the UBC PEERS Clinic, we are pleased that all of our group leaders are Certified PEERS Providers and were certified at The University of Los Angeles, California where the PEERS Program was developed. All leaders have Masters and/or PhD Degrees in Psychology or related areas
- Our focus is to deliver the 16-week program as it was developed in keeping with the evidence-base of the program
- Please email Dr. Rashmeen Nirmal, UBC PEERS Clinic Founder and Director at email@example.com to schedule a 15-minute telephone screening interview
- Then, an intake interview via Zoom will be scheduled with you and your teen to determine if the program is a good fit
- Space is limited. We look forward to hearing from you!