Friday, October 1
9:00 am - 2:45 pm
- ACT - Autism Community Training
- 100- $175
Presented by Hilary McClinton, M. Ed. & Nicole Shallow, M. Ed., BCBA
A significant percentage of children and adults diagnosed with autism have great difficulty achieving healthy sleep patterns and this concern applies broadly across various neurodivergent children. This often leads to the entire family suffering from chronic sleep deprivation with a knock-on effect on family functioning, including employment and the ability of the child and their siblings to learn. Too often families assume that there is no way to avoid this, that it is an unavoidable aspect of their child’s diagnosis. However, this is not the case, especially if the family can learn positive techniques when the child is still young. This presentation will focus on sleep education, providing practical strategies to encourage healthy sleep.
This presentation will include:
- An introduction to the architecture of sleep and how it differs in the neurodiverse community. This includes a discussion of the reasons why autistic children and other neurodiverse individuals may be more likely to experience sleep difficulties. Understanding the underlying mechanism of sleep ensures a treatment plan that is realistic and addresses key problem areas.
- A review of basic sleep problems (e.g., early waking, insomnia) and how analyzing the child’s behavior can support families to achieve healthy sleep with a positive, pro-active approach. Identifying the “why” behind a sleep problem is the foundation to developing a successful sleep plan. Every sleep plan should be individualized to a family’s cultural needs, current capacity and desired outcomes.
- Through case studies, the process of assessment, plan development and support implementation will be described.
- A discussion of tangible takeaways to support healthy sleep for adults and children will be a major part of this presentation. Sleep is the foundation to overall health. Healthy sleep habits starting from the moment you wake up!
Visit the Event Registration page for full speaker bios, schedule and more.