Friday, November 15
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
SFU Harbour Centre
515 west hastings st.
- $50 until Nov. 7 - $75 after
Live stream: Watch and participate live online by registering for web streaming or attend in-person at SFU Harbour Centre, Vancouver.
Ensuring that your child with autism receives an appropriate education can be challenging at times. Many parents report that they are confused about special needs supports and services for their child within British Columbia’s public school system. In 2017, the B.C. Ministry of Education funded the Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Related Disorders to create a new position – POPARD’s Family School Liaison – to provide information and support to parents and caregivers of students with ASD.
In this presentation, Veena Birring Hayer, a registered social worker with extensive experience in supporting parents, will explain the role of POPARD’s Family-School Liaison and will provide information on:
- Navigating the school system, including the roles, rights and responsibilities of parents, teaching staff and administrators.
- Policies and procedures that guide special needs programming in the school environment, along with a discussion of advocacy supports.
- Enhancing family-school collaboration, including strategies for shared responsibilities and addressing barriers to positive engagement.
- The Individual Education Plan (IEP) including:
- key features of an effective IEP meeting;
- how to set goals, objectives and strategies to best meet the needs of students;
- information on adaptations versus modifications.
About the Presenter
Veena Birring Hayer holds a Master of Social Work with a concentration in disability and mental health from the University of British Columbia. Over the last 15 years, she has supported parents of children and youth with special needs in various capacities within Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children, BC Children’s Hospital and MCFD – Children and Youth with Special Needs. As the Family-School Liaison with the Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Related Disorders (POPARD), Veena helps to build the capacity of families of children with ASD, by providing education and strategies to enable them to better navigate the school system.