Monday, January 13 - Monday, May 4
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Speech Meta Therapy Services Inc.
#2145-13700 Mayfield Place
- Speech Meta Therapy Services
Speech Meta is pleased to be offering PEERS®, The Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills, starting in February 2020.
PEERS® is the only available evidence-based social skills program for adolescents and adults with autism spectrum disorder, and is used clinically for youth with ADHD, anxiety, depression and other social challenges. During each group session, teens, ages 13-18, are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during socialization activities. Parents attend separate sessions at the same time and are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by helping to expand their teen’s social network and providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
During the 16-week program, teens will learn:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to appropriately use electronic forms of communication
- How to appropriately use humour and assess humour feedback
- How to start, enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to organize successful get-togethers with friends
- How to be a good sport when playing games/sports with friends
- How to handle arguments and disagreements with friends and in relationships
- How to handle rejection, teasing, bullying, rumours/gossip, and cyber bullying
- How to change a bad reputation
Additional Languages Offered: Our Program Leaders are also fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese and we are pleased to offer handouts from the translated PEERS® manual from Hong Kong.
PEERS® at Speech Meta will run on Monday evenings February-May 2020 for 16 weeks. Each week, teens and parents meet separately for 1.5 hours, weekly from 6:30-8pm on Mondays. The cost of the program is $160/week*, for the parent & teen sessions combined. Families must commit to attend the 16 weeks of the program.
Enrolment is limited. To learn more about the program, please fill out the contact form at www.speechmeta.com/peers. One of our Certified PEERS® providers will contact you for a free 15-minute phone call.
Program Leaders: Speech-language pathologists Fiona Hui, Sandy Wong and Paulina Vazquez are certified providers of PEERS® for Teens and Adolescents and received their training at the Semel Institute of UCLA.
*This program is eligible for funding through the Autism Funding Unit. Check with your extended health benefits provider to see your coverage for speech-language pathology services.