Monday, January 30
8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre
181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver
- PuSh International Performing Arts Fesival
- 604 605 8284 ext. 204
The PuSh International Performing Arts Festival is Vancouver’s mid-winter festival featuring acclaimed local, national and international artists. We strive to make the festival accessible to all and this year we are expanding that accessibility with relaxed performances for the performances of Backstage in Biscuitland.
” Relaxed Performances are specifically designed to welcome people who will benefit from a more relaxed performance environment, including people with on the Autism Spectrum,sensory and communication disorders, neurological disorders or a learning disability. There is a relaxed attitude to noise and movement coming from the audience and light and sound effects are adapted to minimal level that is never startling. Many people feel that relaxed performances offer a more dynamic theatrical experience, which benefits everyone.”
BACKSTAGE IN BISCUIT LAND http://pushfestival.ca/shows/festival-2017/backstage-biscuit-land/
Jan 30 – Feb 1 | Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation
Centre | $39.70 | Group booking price $26
Supported by the British Council, Arts Council England and Vancity
Biscuit, biscuit, biscuit: Jess Thom just can’t stop saying the word. As a woman with Tourette syndrome, she has verbal and physical tics that make her incapable of staying on script, but that hasn’t stoppedher from becoming a powerful writer and performer—quite the opposite, in fact. Her show uses comedy, puppetry and song to bring her world to audiences.
Thom loved the theatre as a child, but the intensity of her tics made it increasingly difficult to attend, a situation that culminated three years ago when she was asked to sit in isolation during a performance. Instead of never returning to the theatre, Thom found the only seat in the house she wouldn’t be asked to leave: the stage.
- All shows of ‘Backstage in Biscuit Land’ will be relaxed performances
- Special seating arrangements can be made for people not feeling comfortable sitting in close proximity to other patrons
- There is a chill-out space with comfortable seats outside of the theatre for patrons needing a break
- A visual story with information and picture about the venue and the play as well as a full break down of the story is available on the website.
- Complimentary companion tickets are provided for Access2 cardholders
- Special pricing for groups