ACT was thrilled to receive a $2,000 donation from the associates at Penticton Walmart. The press release is below.
Penticton Walmart associates donate $2,000 to autism charity
Penticton – Associates at Walmart Penticton have raised $2,000 to support families with children with autism. Assistant Manager Dan Bigelow and his associates chose ACT – Autism Community Training (ACT) to be the recipient of the funds that they raised. “My son was recently diagnosed with autism – our family appreciates that the great resources that ACT provides are free to families throughout B.C.”, explains Bigelow.
Deborah Pugh, ACT’s Executive Director, will be in Penticton on Tuesday, June 14th, to accept a cheque on behalf of ACT at a presentation by associates from Walmart Penticton and to hold an information session for families. ACT is B.C.’s leading not-for-profit society, providing objective information on autism and support to families across B.C. by phone and online.
ACT has ear-marked this generous donation to support ACT’s Seymour Triple G fundraiser, which will benefit Autism Videos @ ACT (AVA). AVA hosts 16 free online videos providing high-quality training for families affected by autism across the province. For more information and to donate to Seymour Triple G go to www.SeymourTripleG.ca.
John Carinha, the father of a 11-year-old son with autism, and the Vice-President of ACT’s Board of Directors, is the driving force behind the Seymour Triple G Road Cycle event and is a huge supporter of Autism Videos @ ACT.
“Across B.C., families are desperate for high quality information and ACT has leading autism professionals on video providing families practical, down to earth solutions for the things that really worry them – including how to get kids with autism involved in community recreation”, Carinha explains, adding, “It’s a great resource but we need to expand it which is why we appreciate the support of Dan Bigelow and his associates at Walmart Penticton.”
The Parent Information Session will be at the Penticton Ramada from 10:30 -12:30 on June 14th.
For more information visit ACT’s website at www.actcommunity.ca or call toll-free 1-866-939-5188 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Autism Spectrum Disorder
- 1 in 61 children in B.C. have a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Average age of diagnosis in B.C. is 6 ½ years
- Over 11,000 families in B.C. have a child with ASD
Seymour Triple G Road Cycling Fundraiser
- On Saturday, June 25th, road cyclists will climb Mount Seymour in North Vancouver, a 15km ride up a 7-10% grade – an elevation gain of 900 meters. This course is so tough there is no category for it.
- The Triple G fundraiser has already raised over $5,000; the goal is to raise $10,000 for Autism Videos @ ACT – a free online video library sharing practical, research-based information to help parents understand their child’s needs and how to support them to reach their potential.
About ACT – Autism Community Training
- Since 2005, ACT has provided evidence-based information and training on autism to parents and professionals – it is the most comprehensive community-level information service in B.C.;
- ACT’s services support individuals with autism to live productive, satisfying lives within their communities by ensuring that families and professionals, wherever they live in B.C., have access to ACT’s free information, training and support services, including:
- A toll-free line for individualized support from ACT Information Officers;
- Autism Videos @ ACT (AVA) – instant access to ACT’s free online video library;
- ACT’s Autism Manual for B.C. – 12 online chapters – from diagnosis to employment;
- Autism Information Database (AID) – 2000 vetted information and community resources;
- Events for B.C.’s Special Needs Community – a free community listings service;
- Next Steps Guide in English, Chinese and Punjabi (Korean coming soon);
- Active Facebook page –with nearly 2,000 followers and 10 posts a week;
- ACT’s Monthly News Round-Up reaches 8,000 individuals and organizations;
- Registry of Autism Service Providers for Children under Six – 640 professionals.
- ACT hosted 26 live events in 2015, supported through registration fees and sponsorship.
- There are over 100,000 visits to ACT’s website from around B.C. annually.
- ACT is a registered charity; charitable tax number is #861691236RR0001.
www.actcommunity.ca | 1-866-939-5188 (toll-free) or 604-205-5467 | email@example.com