The heartbreaking and preventable deaths of a mother and her teenage son with autism in Prince Rupert earlier this month (see Province article) has highlighted the lack of a well-developed strategy in B.C. to respond to families in crisis. On April 25th Global Unfiltered featured a discussion on the underlining issues we face in British Columbia.
The report on the 25th followed a month-long series by Global looking at autism: treatment, causes and the impact on families, featuring many families and professionals working and living with autism in B.C. Some of the stories they featured were:
- Canada lack national autism strategy
- Despite some funding, a diagnosis of autism is a huge financial burden
- Search to find cure for autism
- Surrey art program helps one young man with autism express himself
- Jenny McCarthy backtracking on anti-vaccination, but is it too late?
- Early diagnosis of autism improves outcomes, saves mone
If you would like to share with ACT your experiences and concerns email firstname.lastname@example.org