About ACT – Autism Community Training
ACT- Autism Community Training is a not-for-profit society that provides information and support to families and professionals across British Columbia about all aspects of autism, including referrals for diagnosis and treatment.
ACT’s mission is to provide excellent information and training in accordance with international best practices. Our goal is to enable parents, professionals and para-professionals to support children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder to live productive, satisfying lives within their families and communities.
A vital part of ACT’s work is providing training opportunities on many facets of autism treatment as well awareness events aimed at improving acceptance for those with autism. ACT provides between 15 and 20 live events a year with audiences ranging from 30 to 500 participants. Attendees include parents and family members of those with ASD, para-professionals, school-based teams, and professionals, as well as adults with ASD.
The event planner is a key position at ACT. In addition to taking responsibility for event organization, their role is to collaborate with other staff members to facilitate ACT’s relationships with educators, therapists and families members across B.C.
Specifically, the event planner is responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining event plans
- Negotiating contacts, booking venues and ordering catering
- Arranging travel and accommodation for staff and speakers
- Planning and adhering to event budgets
- Managing events and troubleshooting onsite
- Identifying and coordinating event volunteers
- Seeking event sponsorship
- Event promotion
ACT is looking for someone with a proven record in event planning:
- A BA and a certificate related to event planning or similar is preferred
- Excellent organization, planning and project management skills
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a wide-range of people including those with developmental disabilities/autism. Knowledge of autism and it’s impact on families is an asset
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within the field of event planning
- The ability to coordinate multiple requests in a timely and diplomatic fashion
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve on day to day tasks, with overall direction from the Manager of Training or Executive Director
- Flexible, collaborative approach in working with co-workers
- Experience with Social Media and basic website editing an asset
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge an advantage
- Strong skills in Word and Excel programs required
- Experience with booking AV equipment required
- A valid B.C. Driver’s License and access to vehicle required
ACT offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please provide salary expectations with your application.
Submit resume and cover letter confidentially to email@example.com before 3:30PM on Tuesday, December 10th, 2013. No telephone calls please.
Interviews are planned for December 12th and 13th, with an expected start date of January 6th, 2014.
Thank you to everyone who applied. This job posting is now closed.